Military and sertanista Mato Grosso (1865-1958). Leader of pioneering expeditions in western Brazil and founder of the Indian Protection Service.
Cândido Mariano da Silva Rondon (5/5 / 1865-19 / 1/1958) is born in Mimoso. He graduated as a military engineer and a bachelor of science in physical, natural and mathematical sciences in Rio de Janeiro in 1890. Four years later he joins the commission for the construction of telegraph lines between Goiás and Mato Grosso. During the work, he meets hostile Indians or slaves of farmers and places them under the protection of his troops. It begins to extend telegraph lines to Acre, crossing 1,650 km of sertões and 1,980 km of unexplored forests. Under his direction is created the Indian Protection Service (SPI). It outlines the script and follows the expedition of former United States President Theodore Roosevelt to the Northern Region. It then surveys the regions of Mato Grosso, Goiás and Amazonas. In 1939 is named president of the National Council of Protection to the Indian. In the same year receives from the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE) the title of civilizer of the hinterlands. On 2/17/1956, the territory of Guaporé is renamed as Rondônia, in his honor. Three years before his death in Rio, the National Congress gives him the post of marshal.