The story

Pheneos Silver Stater

Pheneos Silver Stater

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Background Checks

Hazardous Material Endorsement for Commercial Driver's Licenses
The Transportation Security Administration passed regulations requiring commercial drivers that transport hazardous materials to undergo a security screening that includes a criminal history background check. Commercial drivers in Maryland can apply for their Hazardous Material Endorsement and receive the required security screening at the same time. Detailed instructions for the application and renewal process for the Hazardous Material Endorsement can be found on the Motor Vehicle Administration website.

  • If you currently live in Maryland and the adoption will be finalized in Maryland, follow the instructions of the agency conducting your home study for a full background childcare record check.
  • If the child is being adopted from outside the United States, you may need a Gold Seal Letter in addition to the childcare record check. Check with your adoption agency for additional details.

Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) – Central Repository Customer Service:
CJIS Customer Service cannot disclose any criminal history.
CJIS Customer Service representatives can:

  • Check the status of a current background history request. You must have the reference number or a social security number.
  • Take orders for applicant fingerprint cards.
    • Download the Fingerprint Card Order Form, in PDF format. Simply complete your information, print it and fax it to 410-653-6320, or print it and mail it to CJIS-Central Repository, P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, Maryland 21282-2708.

    CJIS Customer Service Hours:
    Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
    Baltimore City local number: 410-764-4501
    Toll free number: 1-888-795-0011
    Obtaining an Agency Authorization Number:

    There is no fee required to become an authorized agency to receive criminal background information. You must have legal or regulatory authority that authorizes your agency to receive federal and/or Maryland criminal history.

    Private employers must complete the Private Party Petition packet:
    If approved under the Private Party Petition process, the agency is only entitled to Maryland (State) criminal history record information.

        The Private Party Petition packet can be completed on-line through the provided link and

      Faxed to: 410-653-6320 or
      Mailed to: Criminal Justice Information System - Central Repository
      P.O. Box 32708
      Pikesville Maryland 21282-2708 or
      Delivered to:
      Criminal Justice Information System - Central Repository
      6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102
      Baltimore, Maryland 21215.

      If you are an agency providing any of the services listed below, you must complete the Application to Receive Criminal History Record Information for Employment or Licensing Purposes:

      • Adult Dependent Care
      • Criminal Justice
      • Child Care
      • Government Employment (Maryland agencies only)
      • Government Licensing (Maryland agencies only)
      • Public Housing

      When completing the Application to Receive Criminal History Record Information for Employment or Licensing Purposes:

      1. Please print or type all information
      2. List only one contact person. This is the person to whom all correspondence will be addressed
      3. Select the correct criminal background request type (only one criminal background request type per application)
      4. Print or type the requested information and

      Fax it to: 410-653-6320 or
      Mail it to:
      Criminal Justice Information System - Central Repository
      P.O. Box 32708
      Pikesville Maryland 21282-2708 or
      Delivered to:
      Criminal Justice Information - Central Repository
      6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102
      Baltimore, Maryland 21215.

      Associated Criminal Justice Information System – Central Repository Fees

      Federal Register - Notice of Fee Increase
      Effective January 1, 2019 rates for submitting federal background checks via the Maryland Criminal Justice Information System - Central Repository increased in accordance with the fee schedule established by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Cost to providers increased by $ 1.25 per fingerprint-based submission. Fingerprint-based volunteer submission increased by $.50 cents.

      Fees are required to process each criminal background record check request.

      All fees must be paid by credit card (Master Card, Visa, and Discover) or check. The Central Repository cannot accept cash or money orders.

      Checks submitted to CJIS Central Repository are electronically processed.

      Full background [state and FBI]
      for authorized agencies only
      Full background [state and FBI]
      for child care volunteers
      Maryland Mentor
      for child care volunteers
      $15.00 with certification card
      State background check only $18.00
      State background check with Gold Seal $19.00
      Criminal Justice full background No fee
      Criminal Justice state only No fee
      Attorney/Client civil $18.00
      Attorney/Client pending criminal case No fee

      There is a $20.00 fingerprint service fee per customer.

      Fingerprints may be taken at an authorized Private Provider or Government Operated Service. Make sure to check with that agency for their fingerprinting fees as fees may vary.

      "The Twelve Days of Christmas" is an English Christmas carol that enumerates a series of increasingly grand gifts given on each of the twelve days of Christmas. It is sung by the cast of Phineas and Ferb in Phineas and Ferb Holiday Favorites. An altered version is sung by Doofenshmirtz in "Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation!"

      Phineas: On the first day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      A jet-powered rocket ski

      Candace: On the second day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      Two busted brothers
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      Isabella: On the third day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      A sash full of patches
      Candace: Two busted brothers
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      Jeremy: On the fourth day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Candace: Two busted brothers
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: On the fifth day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      The entire Tri-State Area!
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Candace: Two busted brothers
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      Baljeet: On the sixth day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      A kiss from a girl
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: The entire Tri-State Area.
      Or at least a large portion of it. I don't. I don't want to get too greedy.
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Candace: Two busted brothers
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      Buford: On the seventh day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      More nerds to bully
      Baljeet: A kiss from a girl
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: The entire Tri-State.
      You know what, how about just two of the three states? That's fair, right? Deal?
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Candace: Two busted brothers
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      Major Monogram: On the eighth day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      Promotion to colonel
      Buford: More nerds to bully
      Baljeet: A kiss from a girl
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: One single state!
      I feel like I was overreaching before. Just. just one state area will be fine. Go on with the song.
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Candace: Two busted brothers!
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      On the ninth day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      (Perry chatters)
      Major Monogram: Promotion to colonel
      Buford: More nerds to bully
      Baljeet: A kiss from a girl
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: Five golden rings!
      Y'know, I had to sing it that way at least once. It's tradition. and I'm traditional.
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Candace: Two busted brothers!
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      On the tenth day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      Carl: A job that pays me money
      (Perry chatters)
      Major Monogram: Promotion to colonel
      Buford: More nerds to bully
      Baljeet: A kiss from a girl
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: Yeah, actually, promotion to colonel sounds pretty sweet. Is it. is it too late to change mine?
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      Vanessa: On the eleventh day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      My own set of wheels
      Carl: A job that pays me money
      (Perry chatters)
      Major Monogram: Promotion to colonel
      Buford: More nerds to bully
      Baljeet: A kiss from a girl
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: You know, this is way too much pressure, being put on the spot for one thing that I want from this mythic all-powerful gift giver who only comes once a year. It's insane!
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Phineas: And a jet-powered rocket ski

      On the twelfth day of Christmas
      Please, Santa, give to me
      Ferb: (spoken) One line of dialogue
      Vanessa: My own set of wheels
      Carl: A job that pays me money
      (Perry chatters)
      Major Monogram: Promotion to colonel
      Buford: More nerds to bully
      Baljeet: A kiss from a girl
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: How about just some almond brittle? It's a realistic request, right?
      Jeremy: A silver guitar
      Isabella: A sash full of patches
      Candace: Ah, forget it!
      All: And a jet-powered rocket ski!
      Dr. Doofenshmirtz: . inator!

      Episode Summary

      The Flynn-Fletcher family arrives at the semi-annual Tri-State Area Antique Show and Swap Meet, where Lawrence says they can find anything under the sun, literally, because it's held outdoors. When Phineas asks if they really can find everything, Lawrence replies that there is only one thing that they wouldn't find in the antique show: an 1807 Dorcham and Wesley Boot Scraper. He explains that only one was ever made and that "it's been lost to the mists of time". Lawrence continues by saying that if he found it he could become the envy of the entire antiquing community, especially Worthington Dubois, Lawrence's antiquing nemesis. Linda is surprised to find out Lawrence has an antiquing nemesis, with Lawrence playfully commenting how Linda doesn't know everything about him. Phineas tells Ferb that he knows what they are gonna do today as Danville Swap Meet plays.

      After the song, Phineas asks Lawrence how the Dorcham and Wesley Boot Scraper was "lost to the mists of time". Lawrence then recognizes that he gets melodramatic when it comes to antiques. Phineas then says that he and Ferb found a Dorcham and Wesley Boot Scraper map in the Parchment Booth. This surprises Lawrence, as there were only three maps made and begins to say that they were, too, "lost to the mists of time" but he stops mid-sentence, noticing he did it again.

      Perry, now as Agent P, approaches a booth with a comic book on top of a box. He opens the comic book, revealing it to be from the O.W.C.A. and enters it. Major Monogram bids Perry a good morning and straight-up tells him he has no idea what Dr. Doofenshmirtz is up to because he had been busy giving his closest friends their own personalized ringtones. He notices that Perry and Carl have their theme songs as their ringtones, but when he decided to call his friends he realizes that he doesn't have his own theme song. Anyway, he tells Perry to stop Doofenshmirtz.

      At the Swap Meet, Candace is complaining about their being at the antique festival and comments about how when people see the stuff on sale at the street, they just walk around it. She stops when she sees the item of her dreams: an extremely rare Ducky Momo first-edition-green-pupil variant with a left-handed pull chord. Candace then imagines an angel chorus and a light around her and swears that she must have it, but must act cool. She approaches the stand claiming that a friend of hers need a paperweight and that the Ducky Momo trinket is just the right size. The vendor then tells her that the trinket is a Ducky Momo first-edition-green-pupil variant with a left-handed pull chord and that here are only two of them in America and even rarer than Dorcham and Wesley Boot Scraper maps, but not quite as rare as the Dorcham and Wesley Boot Scraper. Candace then asks for it and, when the salesman says no, she offers trade it for something. The salesman replies that he wants the only thing he can't have: an early twentieth century silver baby rattle. He says he can't have it because of a disagreement between him and the salesman selling the baby rattle involving a "stupid, silly French cabinet". The baby rattle salesman says that the Ducky Momo one broke the arms off of his armoire and that now it's just a "oire". Candace then deduces that if she gives the salesman the baby rattle, she'll get the Ducky Momo toy. She approaches the other salesman asking to buy the rattle. The salesman refuses to give it to her when he realizes she wants to give it to the other salesman. Candace, undaunted, asks him what he wants "since everyone wants something". The salesman replies that he always wanted a crystal radio. This starts a chain reaction with Candace going to ask a salesman for a requested item only for them to want things like a cane with a cobra on it, the Battle of Danville commemorative dentures, and a pink gorilla suit.

      Meanwhile, Doofenshmirtz captures Agent P in film, saying that film business is a "wrap", and explains to Agent P that film is the best medium ever for swaying public attention. So Doofenshmirtz has created a movie that will convince the people from the Tri-State Area to elect Doofenshmirtz their leader. He then shows Perry a clip of the movie, which depicts Doofenshmirtz simply saying, "Make me your leader". He says that he entered the Film Festival to present the movie, until he realized that it is Danville Young Filmmakers Festival, meaning that only people who are less than 15 years old can enter and Doofenshmirtz is 47. But he says that his latest inator, the De-Age-inator, will turn him into a fourteen-year-old so that he can enter the Danville Young Filmmakers Festival and sit back as the people of Danville make Doofenshmirtz the leader of the Tri-State Area.

      At the Swamp Meet, Candace continues the hunt for the Ducky Momo trinket, now taking notes on things like a banjo, an old time diving suit, and a furry telephone.

      Meanwhile, Phineas, Ferb, and Lawrence are now approaching, as per the map's instruction, the Boot Scrapers Hall. Inside is a giant statue of a man with his foot raised above a podium, Lawrence claiming this due to the Boot Scrapers taking their crafting seriously. In the pedestal, Phineas notices a plaque with funny symbols. Lawrence recognizes the symbols as Boot Scrape, the secret language of the ancient Boot Scrapers. He deciphers the passage as: "To gain the world and hold the wintel, reverse your mind and mind the lintel". Phineas wonders what the lintel is and Lawrence answers that it's the space between two columns and quickly spots a message on top of the doors in which the trio had come. Phineas wonders if the writing is Greek and Lawrence, who knows Greek, says that he doesn't recognize some of the symbols. Phineas, remembering the message, asks Ferb to use a mirror on the message, revealing it to be written backwards: "The disk of fate drops the boot". Lawrence realizes the Disk of Fate is a coat of arms above the doorway and that the statue's foot is not resting on the podium, and that the podium has a giant slot in it. Grabbing the coat of arms, Phineas discovers it's actually a big penny and tosses it to Ferb, who places the penny in the slot. The foot comes down on the podium, lowering it to the ground, then the whole statue moves to the left, revealing a spiral staircase, with Lawrence commenting that the Boot Scrapers were known for their elaborate spiral staircases. The trio head down the staircase, unknowingly followed by Worthington Dubois, Lawrence's antiquing nemesis.

      At Doofenshmirtz Evil Inc., Doofenshmirtz finds an unplugged cable and plugs it in, which causes the De-Age-inator to shoot the film wrapping Perry and turning it to oil. Doofenshmirtz comments about how the film melting into oil makes no sense until he remembers that film was made from some petroleum products and the De-Age-inator turned the film younger so it makes some ridiculous sort of sense. Perry then attacks Doofenshmirtz, who throws Perry off of him as he prepares to shoot the De-Age-inator at himself, which manages to successfully turn Doofenshmirtz into a 14 year old version of himself. Doofenshmirtz then gloats, like a teenager, about how he defeated Perry and that all he has to do is take a DVD into the Film Festival to become leader of the Tri-State Area, but Perry blocks his way asking for the disk, until Doofenshmirtz turns around, claiming Perry isn't "the boss of me".

      Back to Candace, now visibly exhausted, she is shown asking a salesman what's it going to take her to get a 1965 Northern Llama Ranger's Association Commemorative Creamer. To her immense relief, the salesman only wants a dollar. Then she begins to hand items to all of the people she had promised them.

      Meanwhile, Phineas, Ferb, and Lawrence enter a wide chamber which Phineas mentions it's the inner temple. When Lawrence moves forward, Phineas and Ferb pull him down as cobbler mallets are thrown from various holes in the walls. As they crawl to the door out of the chamber, Lawrence is seen asking why did it have to be cobbler mallets. After escaping the trap and they stop on a safe part of the floor, Phineas says that the trap was a close one, with Lawrence agreeing by starting to say that the boot scrapers were master craftsmen when they suddenly fall through a hole where they were sitting. Lawrence recognizes the room in which they landed as the cavern of secrets and explains that the room was made with materials scraped from boot scrapers of Danville's eldest and who were engineers at hiding. As Lawrence explains this, the trio turn around to see a massive boot falling back and revealing an entrance in its sole.

      Candace is then seen still exchanging items with salesman, such as a battleship hat, a coffee grinding pogo stick, Bigfoot's letters home, and an evil angel suit.

      Phineas, Ferb, and Lawrence then enter an enormous room with many shelves with boots in them and many boot scraping instruments in the center of the room. Phineas then comments on how he never knew there was a wide variety of historical boot scrapers and wonders which one is the boot scraper. As Lawrence approaches, Worthington Dubois is seen in the doorway. Lawrence explains that only one of the instruments is the real Dorcham and Wesley boot scraper and that no doubt a wrong choice could trigger a nasty booby trap, commenting on how the Boot Scrapers were famously vengeful people and that his decision should require every ounce of antiquing knowledge that he possesses. After long hesitation, with encouragement from Phineas, Lawrence makes a move towards a hedgehog-looking boot scraper, but Worthington Dubois pushes him aside and claims the instrument as the true Dorchan and Wesley boot scraper of legend. However, Lawrence contradicts this by stating that there aren't any hedgehogs in America. Dubois is then squished by a booby trapped giant boot that breaks the floor below him, with Phineas saying that he chose poorly. Lawrence then grabs the rest of the instruments, stating that since the place is falling apart anyways it won´t make a difference, and the trio makes a mad dash for the exit as the temple crumples above them.

      Back to Candace, she is seen the final items on her list, such as the pink gorilla suit, the Battle of Danville commemorative dentures, and the cane with a cobra on it.

      Meanwhile, a teenager Doofenshmirtz and Perry are still fighting over the DVD when Doofenshmirtz climbs the De-Age-inator and accidentally activates the rapid fire command, which immediately shoots multiple rays outside the building.

      Finally, Candace walks to her first salesman and places the silver baby rattle on his table while he goes for the Ducky Momo. Unbeknownst to both, the baby rattle is hit by the De-Age-inator, which cleans it and wipes the patina off of it. As the salesman begins to give the Ducky Momo to Candace, he notices the change and calls off the deal, saying that the baby rattle looks brand new and, as a result, is no longer an antique. Realizing everything she did was in vain, Candace shouts to the sky "WHY. "

      Still fighting, Perry and Doofenshmirtz break the De-Age-inator, something which the teenaged Doofenshmirtz blames on Perry.

      Meanwhile, Phineas, Ferb, and Lawrence escape the Boot Scrapers Hall just as it collapses. Lawrence comments on how that was a close one but the three are shocked when Worthington Dubois emerges from the ruins of the Hall and explains that when he fell, he landed in the ruins of the Hall of the Sandal Scrapers, an order of scrapers far more ancient than the Boot Scrapers. Producing an instrument marked as Scrapus Maximus, Dubois announces his plan to use the instrument to become the most powerful antiques collector the world has ever seen as the instrument turns Dubois into a gigantic ghost-like creature. Ferb then says that next time, they should buy new. As Dubois begins to target the trio, a laser hits him from behind and he realizes in horror that it's "his enemies from beyond space" as multiple U.F.O.s begin surrounding him. Phineas happily recognizes one of those piloting a U.F.O. as their friend Garbog while Lawrence and Ferb stand in awe with mouths wide open. Garbog then places Phineas, Ferb, and Lawrence in three U.F.O.s as Phineas shouts, "Team Danville, assemble!" Some of the pilots pf the U.F.O.s are shown, such as Conk the caveman, a watermelon, and Jeremy Tree from Wizard of Odd. The fifteen U.F.O.s begins shooting Dubois as many shots hit the front of a screen. Then a T-Rex appears out of nowhere and roars just as a banner that says "THE END" falls in front of it.

      It is revealed that the whole Phineas and Ferb subplot had been the winning movie of the Danville Young Filmmakers Festival, and the award presenter invites the directors of the movie, Phineas Flynn and Ferb Fletcher, to join him on stage. In the audience, a still young Doofenshmirtz laments his defeat and begins asking people if they can give him a ride home. Phineas then says that he and Ferb couldn't have done the movie without the help of their father, Lawrence Fletcher, who spent all afternoon making the movie. The spotlight finds him on the audience, seated next to Linda, who tells Lawrence that he never told her that he was good with special effects. Lawrence then humbly replies that it was mostly Phineas and Ferb. Then, Phineas and Ferb also would like to thank the actor that brought Worthington Dubois, their villain, to life. Dubois then corrects "actors" and rips the costume he is wearing, revealing Baljeet standing in Buford's shoulders. Phineas tells them to make a bow, which Buford does, causing Baljeet to fall off, who falls into an orchestra pit and wonders what's it doing in a movie theater. In the audience, Doofenshmirtz continues to ask if someone could give him a ride home.

      Phineas Slayton (1737 - 1825)

      Phineas Slayton was born Sep. 15, 1737 in Barre, Worcester County, Massachusetts, the son of Thomas Slayton (1709 - 1778) and Abigail Harrington Slayton (1712 - 1786). [1] Text below is taken directly from the book cited below until notated otherwise. Citation references to supporting vital records, historic dividers, and some bolding, have been added to the original text.

      "B" is used by the author to stand for Brookfield, Mass.

      No. 7 in Asa Slayton's History of the Slayton Family [2] 7. PHINIHAS SLATON the Son of Thomas Slaton & of Abial his Wife was born in Weston the 4th day of September 1737, [3] this from Weston records History of Watertown says Phinehas bap Sep 11 1737. [4] As he was then only seven days old the baptism must have been in Weston. He was more of a mechanic than his older brother Thomas. [2]

      1755 French and Indian War

      From the history of [North Brookfiedl] we learn that he joined Capt Andrew Dalrymple's Petersham Co and was out from Aug 9 to Dec 27 1755 on the Crown Point expedition. [2]

      In 1757 he joined Capt Jabez Upham's Co with his brother Thomas and started Aug 9 for the relief of Ft William Henry but heard of Col Monroe's surrender and got back to B Aug 26. [2]

      1758 Land Purchase

      He bought ten acres in ye township of B for 13 [pounds] 6s 8d Dec 14 1758 He bought more land in B for seventeen pounds in the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George ye Second May 16 1760. [2]

      1761 Marriage

      Intentions of his marriage were published in church in B in March and May 14 1761 he m Eleanor Morey of Charlton. [2]

      1775 Revolution

      The muster roll says Penehas Slayton marched in Capt John Wolcott's Co of Rangers from Brookfield Apr 19 1775, in consequence of an alarm that day, gone 12 days. [2]

      He then enlisted in Capt John Cowl's company Col BR Woodbridge's regiment and went into camp at Roxbury May 19 1775. The battle of Bunker Hill was fought by these eight months men but there is no record of which regiments participated. [2]

      In 1777 he was a Corporal in Capt John Banister's Co and April 22nd he was ordered to, " warn the men in the Name of the free states of America to appear equipped on the parade at the Meeting House on Thursday next at one o clock June 30 1778 committee of the 3d Precinct of B reported 193 men liable to military duty only 26 having no credit Phineas credited 11 months. [2]

      About 1787 he located a soldier's claim or a concession granted at Royalton Sep 16 1786 in the town of Calais Vt, and two of his boys went there to live about 1790 another went a few years later.

      The last time his wife Eleanor joins with him in giving a deed is April 8 1801. She must have died soon after for Dec 13 1806 he alone sold 110 acres for $1200 and Dec 23 1806 he gave another deed for about 110 acres the whole of my farm in B corner binding on land owned by Thomas Slayton Dec 2 1806 he had bought about 1 acre for $30 I presume for a home [2]

      Calais, Vermont with wife Roxana

      The next authentic record is Phineas Slayton and wife Roxana of Calais Vt Oct 23 1809 sold between 9 and 10 acres in B for $100 Where or when the second marriage took place we cannot say nor the year he went to Vermont to live but the events occurred between 1806 and 1809 Notice Phineas Slayton of Calais bought fifty acres of Naum Kelton of Montpelier for $200 in the year of our Lord Christ 1808 May 11th Signed in presence of GM Palmer Elisha Slayton Also State of Vermont Caledonia Co Calais March 17 1808 Received of Phinas Slayton twelve cents in full for a tax and cost of one cent Per acre on the following land in Calais viz Eleven acres on lot No 36 in the second Division of lots in Calais Said tax was assessed by the Legislature on the 11 day of November 1807 for the purpose of building a State prison tax and cost 12 recept 6 18 cts Gideon Wheelock first Constable As he sold out in Brookfield in December 1806 and was living in Calais in March 1808 he and his son Elisha probably moved to Vermont in 1807. [2]

      The genealogy of Hon Hiram K says He was a brave soldier and officer in the Revolutionary Army and one of the leading citizens and a magistrate of his town [2]

      He was called by his descendants and neighbors 'Long Stockings' because he wore short velvet breeches with long stockings and silver knee buckles [2]

      After the war of 1812 he spent one winter with his daughter Hannah in B. Next is a copy of his application for pension made in a trembling hand when quite old but it is not dated:

      I Phinchas Slayton was Born in Massachuetts in town Brookfield and was in the French war in year 1755 and the year 1757 and was in the Battle att ticontroge about 9 July under the Command Gin AbbyCrome and in Maj Rogar's Battle Near wood Crick about the 9 August I suferd much hard Ship and the Loss of my Back and Blanket wish I never got no pay wich was Laid down By order I was in the British war the fust yer and was Cald upon By Gin Millen for my Carpender tols and when my time was out tha Said I must Leve my tols and Shold Bee paid For them their was 3 hundred wait of tols I never got any pay For them till papar money had Run most out I have many original papers of his and give a few to show the formulas of his time Brook field June 28 1763 then Recvd of Phinehas Slayton full satisfactshon for we vewing his fence Josiah Partridge Peter Abbott Brookfield September 23 1771 Then Receved of Reubin Slayton Nine Pounds Lawful Money in full upon Phinehas Slayton account of a Mair he bought of me I say Rec d in full Thomas Slayton . [2]

      The next is of particular interest to the people of Calais Vt and notice the kinds of money. Charlton Mass December 30th 1780 Then Rec d of Mr Phineus Slaton and son Thirteen hundred & Twenty Dollars five in old [Continental] Currency and Twenty Dollars in New Emision States muney it Seven pounds Nine Shillings Eleaven pence in Silver Towards obtaining a charter of Incorpration of a Township of Land By the Name of Calais in the State Vermont pr me Ste n Fay One more now Chalton June the 2 1787 then Recved five dolers on a tax due for laying out land att cales [sic Calais] of Phinehas Slayton I say recvd by me. Mary Robinson. [2]

      1825 Death

      Phinehas passed his last years in Montelier, near the Calais line and died there Sept.13,1825. His son Elisha died the same day both of Cholera. After a double funeral both were buried in the cemetery in Calais on the south part of the farm first settled by Simeon in 1790. Nine children by first wife and none with Roxanna. [2]

      Added by editor, not from Asa's text

      Phineas Slayton died Sep. 13, 1825 in Calais, Washington County, Vermont, USA

      Inscription: He was one of the original proprietors and charter member of Calais. One of the first settlers. A Revolutionary Soldier and Officer. [1]

      He was buried in the Short Cemetery, Calais, Washington County, Vermont, USA. [1]

      Brigham Young

      A towering figure in Mormonism, Brigham Young (1801-1877), began his professional career as a carpenter and painter. Baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1832, he was ordained an apostle in 1835. After the assassination of Joseph Smith in 1844, Young was chosen leader of the Mormons and continued as president until his death. He directed the migration of 16,000 Mormons from Illinois to Utah from 1846 to 1852, and became governor of the territory in 1851. In addition to bolstering his community through education and the arts, Young contracted for the national expansion of telegraph and railroad lines.

      Born in Whitingham, Vermont, Young was the ninth of eleven children. His family moved to New York when he was three. Shortly after his mother’s death in 1815, he left home to make his living as carpenter, joiner, glazier, painter, and landscape gardener.

      Did you know? A believer in the doctrine of plural marriage, Young had 20 wives and fathered 47 children.

      Young was baptized a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) in 1832. He became an ardent missionary and disciple, and moved to Kirtland, Ohio, where he did carpentry work and undertook preaching missions. He was ordained an apostle in 1835 and became one of the Quorum of the Twelve, who directed missionary work, emigration and settlement, and construction projects. In 1838-1839, he directed the removal of the Mormons from Missouri to Illinois. He served as a missionary in Great Britain in 1840-1841, and upon his return he was placed in charge of the business operations of the church. After the assassination of Joseph Smith in 1844, Young was chosen leader of the Mormons and continued as president until his death.

      Young not only directed the migration of sixteen thousand Mormons from Illinois to Utah in 1846-1852 but also established the Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company, which during the years 1852-1877 assisted approximately eighty thousand converts to migrate to Utah from Great Britain, Scandinavia, and continental Europe. Young also directed the colonization and development of some 350 settlements in Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona and California.

      In 1861 Young contracted to build the transcontinental telegraph line from Nebraska to California and then erected the twelve-hundred-mile Deseret Telegraph line from Franklin, Idaho, to northern Arizona to connect all Mormon villages with one another and with Salt Lake City. He also contracted to prepare the roadbed for part of the transcontinental railroad line and then organized railroads to provide rail transportation for most Mormon communities in Idaho, Utah and Nevada.

      When Utah became a territory in 1851, Young was the first governor and superintendent of Indian affairs, serving until 1858. As governor, he had repeated difficulties with ‘outside’ non-Mormon presidential appointees, especially judges and territorial secretaries, who were envious, if not fearful, of his power.

      As president of the Mormon church, Young traveled to most settlements at least once a year, where he listened to grievances, discussed problems, and informed himself of local events and personalities. Under prodding from Young, Utah gave women the vote in 1870, thus recognizing their political equality and also adding to Mormon vote pluralities.

      Young constructed the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City and began the erection of the Salt Lake Temple. He founded Brigham Young University the University of Deseret, now University of Utah and the Salt Lake Theatre, where major actors and actresses performed.

      Young was a leading Western colonizer, energetic entrepreneur of new industry, astute politician and effective sermonizer. The more than five hundred recorded sermons he delivered over the thirty-three years of his leadership emphasize practical religion-the improvement of living conditions, correct behavior, and the achievement of harmonious social relationships.

      The Reader’s Companion to American History. Eric Foner and John A. Garraty, Editors. Copyright © 1991 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

      P.T. Barnum’s Relationship with Jenny Lind

      Although he became famous for championing the weird and wacky, one of Barnum&aposs most successful ventures came with the promotion of Swedish opera singer Jenny Lind in the early 1850s.

      After hearing about Lind&aposs sold-out concerts in Europe, Barnum made the "Swedish Nightingale" an offer of $1,000 per performance for 150 shows in the United States and Canada. He reportedly hoped to improve his public image as the owner of a dime-store museum. It was risky, since Barnum had never actually heard Lind sing. He launched a public relations blitz, including newspaper coverage and competitions. His bet paid off, earning Barnum a profit of more than $500,000.

      Over the years, Lind and Barnum were suspected of having a romantic relationship. In 2017, their supposed romantic relationship made it to the big screen in The Greatest Showman, a movie with Hugh Jackman as Barnum and Rebecca Ferguson as Lind. However reports suggest that Lind and Barnum’s relationship was all business. In 1852, Lind married pianist and accompanist Otto Goldschmidt, staying together until her death in 1887.ꂺrnum remained focused on his career. 


      In July 1869 Cooley persuaded a few companions to help him search for the treasure. Their departure point was Zuñi, New Mexico. In August Cooley acquired the help of Miguel, the one-eyed chief of the "Coyoteros" (White Mountain Apaches). Miguel guided them to what is now called Sombrero Peak (near the Sierra Anchas, north of Globe). They were unsuccessful in finding any gold. Miguel then suggested they go further south--to the Pinal Mountains. When they approached the mountains, however, Pinal Apaches warned them to proceed no further. Cooley's parthy then doubled back to the Black River, where they met a cavalry troop commanded by Colonel John Green (shortly thereafter Green established Fort Apache). Green allowed some of his troopers to accompany Cooley to Fort McDowell, and then Cooley continued on to Swilling's Ranch (which later became Phoenix). At Swilling's Ranch Cooley prepared another expedition into the region.

      In the meantime, another prospecting party, headed by a saloonkeeper named Calvin Jackson, left Prescott on September 8. This party also intended to prospect in the same region. Both Cooley's and Jackson's parties were attacked by Apaches, and a cavalry patrol out of Fort McDowell, headed by Colonel George B. Sanford, therefore decided that the two parties should be united for their own safety. The two parties joined on 26 September 1869 near the mouth of Canyon Creek. The prospectors then explored up the Salt River for about thirty miles, but found no gold. It was about this time that Cooley decided that Thorn's story was "unreliable." He returned to Swilling's Ranch before November.

      Calvin Jackson, however, continued to prospect in the Pinal Mountains. He was joined by a former member of Cooley's expedition, William A. "Hunkydory" Holmes. Holmes was later to become a prominent citizen of Globe. (He died, apparently of a heart attack, at the time of the Apache Kid outbreak at Ripsey Wash in October 1889.) The Pinal Mountain prospectors began to be harassed by Apaches, and so they set up a rude fort in late October 1869 at Big Johnny Gulch, two miles north of what was later to become Globe. The fort still exists, testimony to a tenacious bunch of gold hunters. They hadn't found gold, but they did find silver. Jackson's party returned to Prescott in November 1869. For the next year Jackson was too occupied around Prescott to return, but he finally did in November 1870. This time a number of others were with him, and fifteen claims were staked--the first claims in what was to become one of the richest mineral districts in the nation. However, as the Apaches did not like all this activity, they let their displeasure be made known to Jackson, and he quickly retreated to the safety of Prescott.

      By this time the Pinal Mountain region was becoming a true "bone of contention." The U.S. Army was sending many expeditions into the area to suppress the Apaches, and they responded in kind. The presence of treasure seekers made the situation considerably more complex. Something had to give, and it was at this time, 30 April 1871, that the horrendous Camp Grant Massacre occurred. This was the first truly serious defeat the Apaches (San Carlos) were to suffer.

      Still another prospecting expedition entered the Pinal Mountain area in August 1871. It was a huge one, consisting of over 300 individuals, including the governor of the Territory of Arizona, Anson P.K. Safford. They were led by Thomas Miner, who claimed he had found a gold placer in the Pinal Mountains a decade before. The expedition wandered all over the area--from old Camp Grant (near the Gila River) to the top of the Sierra Anchas. It was a true comedy of errors, with wild claims made by Miner, disagreements over routes, contentions about food, etc., etc.

      Eventually, Miner was completely discredited, and the prospectors returned to their homes in Prescott, Florence, Tucson, etc. However, Hunkydory Holmes, who was also in the expedition, and a few of his companions simply returned to their claims at Big Johnny Gulch. They had never really believed Miner in the first place, but had gone along for the adventure. On 28 September 1871 they organized themselves into the Pinal Mining Company, at a place they called "Cottonwood Springs, Arizona Territory." Soon other prospectors also began making claims throughout the region. The miners intended to stay.

      Of course, the San Carlos Apaches tried again to prohibit these excursions into their territory. They were successful for about a year, but in the fall of 1871 General George Crook began his Tonto campaigns. These were very complex and bloody, and will not be discussed at this point. More information can be found on my Apache Warspage. Nevertheless, by the spring of 1873 Crook's campaign had terminated nearly all San Carlos Apache resistance. Nothing could now hold back the miners. David and Robert Anderson of Florence led still another prospecting expedition into the Pinal Mountains in September 1873. These individuals were the first to file the "Globe Ledge" claims. Among those making these claims were: David Anderson, Robert Anderson, Benjamin Reagan, Isaac Copeland, william Long, J.E. Clark, T. Irvine, William Folsom, P. King, M. Welch, M. H. Samson, B. Edwards, and J. Riley. Several of these individuals later were prominent in Globe affairs.

      By the fall of 1875 some of the many mining claims in and around the Pinals had been visited by the 22-year-old San Carlos Indian Agent John Clum. In late October Tucson citizens drew up a petition asking the Secretary of Interior to restore the mineral region to public lands (removing them entirely from the already-established San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation). Clum agreed, and recommended the proposition to the Secretary. Thus, the region was cut off from the reservation and became the "Globe Mining District." The Mining Act of 1872 was adopted as the law governing the district. Officers were elected, and everything was legally lock-tight. Silver was soon found in many places: the Globe Ledge (then called Andrew Hammond's Camp), Richmond Basin, the Stonewall Jackson, Pioneer, Ramboz Camp, etc. Miners poured into the area. The townsite of "Globe City" was laid out in July 1876, officials wer elected, and even retail stores began to appear. "Civilization" had arrived.

      Mining interests took a large leap forward in early 1877 when James F. Gerald became the Mine Superintendent of the Globe Mining District. Reduction works were begun at Miami Wash, and larger scale production began. Mrs. A C. Swift opened the first school in December 1877 with 20 pupils. A stage was operating between Silver City, New Mexico, by 1878, and on 2 May 1878 the first issue of the Arizona Silver Belt , Globe's newspaper, still in operation, was begun by the colorful "Judge" Aaron Harrison Hackney. M.W. Bremen began operating a sawmill in the Pinal Mountains in 1879 (In Six Shooter Canyon--named for the miners who wore pistols for protection--where this author lives), and Reverend J. J. Wingar began St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church in April 1880 (also still located in Globe). In February 1881 Globe became the seat of a new Arizona county: Gila County and the future six-term governor of Arizona, George Wiley Paul Hunt, began waiting on tables in one of Globe's saloons--his first job to eventual success and fame.

      By 1881 interest in copper increased because of a silver glut. Globe then embarked upon its most profitable adventure: copper mining--still very much alive today. The Old Dominion mining company began building a 30-ton furnace at Bloody Tanks in March 1882. The furnace was moved to Globe in May, and the Old Dominion Copper Mining Company was begun. Silver mining in the Globe area virtually ceased by 1887.

      Although the area was incredibly changed by the 1880s, there were, however, many instances of behavior indicative of Globe's frontier nature. It was extremely isolated, about a hundred miles from anywhere else that could be considered "civilization." Isolation bred outlawry. The proximity ot the Apache Indian Reservation also invited trouble. Such trouble occurred many times in Globe's history. In fact, in some ways, to this day that trouble reappears. In July 1882 a rebel Apache, Na-ti-o-tish, broke out of San Carlos and headed north with about 50 others. They attacked ranches and mining camps along the way. This author, when he was young, was told by an elderly lady ("Mollie" Griffin) that she and other children were placed in a mining shaft for protection at the time of this outbreak. It was a terrifying time to her.

      In August 1882 a stage to Florence was robbed, and two men, Lafayette Grimes and Curtis B. Hawley, were legally lynched downtown on a tree (which remained many years in Globe--a monument to the tree has just recently been placed where it was located [January 1997]). Before Grimes was hung, he sat down in the middle of the street, took off his boots, and exclaimed, "Damned if I'll die with my boots on!" So it was. The same lady I mentioned above regarding the Na-ti-o-tish outbreak also remembered that tree. She told me she went downtown once to buy some meat. When she asked a man where she could buy some, she was told there was some meat hanging on that cursed tree--the two dead bodies of Grimes and Hawley. Of course, she never forgot that incident.

      Still another famous killing took place that year (1882) on the south side of the Pinals, at the little mining settlement of Pioneer. On Christmas Day, Tom Kerr got himself drunk. Being quite inebriated, he got to picking on a tenderfoot cowboy, William Hartnett, and then killed him. The enraged citizens of Pioneer strung up the culprit on an old sycamore tree. Before he died, Kerr defiantly exclaimed, "Well, here goes Tom Kerr's Christmas present to the devil." Thus ended that difficult year.

      The fortunes of mining in Globe took an upswing when a Swiss mining engineer, Alexander Trippel, arrived in 1884. Although a depression was in progress throughout the nation, Trippel was able to keep the Globe mines operating and even make them quite profitable by 1888.

      Of course, the 1880s also saw the continued uproar about Geronimo's escapades. Many incidents regarding Geronimo were reported in Globe's newspaper, the Arizona Silver Belt , The issues have been microfilmed and are now available in the major universities of the state. They remain as a colorful reminder of Globe's importance in the early history of Arizona. More can be read about Geronimo's story at my Apache Wars page.

      About the time of Geronimo's last breakout (1886) there was yet another interesting incident near Globe, involving two cowboys. A Scotsman named Andrew Pringle had his ranch headquarters located near a spring north of Wheatfields (the spring is now called Pringle Spring). Jeremiah Vosburgh also owned a ranch in the area--the Flying V. It was Pringle's custom in late May to drive large herds of his cattle onto the Flying V range, and Vosburgh hated the intrusion. On 28 May 1886 Pringle grabbed the blanket of one of the Flying V cowboys, John Thomas, in order to annoy him. Of course, Thomas grew angry, and Pringle responded by chasing him with a knife. Thomas then shot and killed Pringle. On 16 December 1886 Thomas asked for a mistrial, but he went to prison anyway--on Christmas Day. He was, however, unconditionally pardoned by Governor John N. Irwin on 15 June 1892.

      Still another interesting individual connected with the saga of Geronimo was the "Apache Kid. There are so many legends about the Kid that it is hard to determine fact from fiction. What is known, however, is truly remarkable. His final trial was held in Globe on 23 October 1889. His story can be found on my Apache Kid page.

      In January 1892 there was yet another stagecoach holdup out of Globe. King Ussery and Henry Blevins held up the Globe-to-Florence stagecoach (traveling the Howard and Reduction Toll Road) at Cane Spring in the Dripping Springs Mountains, just south of the Pinals. They netted two bars of silver bullion at $1500 each, a dozen gold breastpins at $20 each, and six gold eardrops valued at $90, as well as $200 in cash. Ussery was convicted and served some time in the Yuma Territorial Prison, but the jury wasn't sure about Blevins. The lawyers of the two men were paid in cattle for their retainer fee. As it turned out, both Ussery and Blevins then stole back their cattle from their lawyers, claiming that the fees were too high. This time both men were convicted and sent to Yuma.

      In 1894 one of the Clanton men, who had survived the infamous Earp-Clanton/McLaury feud in Tombstone and had moved to Globe, became involved in yet another violent incident. After the battle at the O.K. Corral, the surviving Clanton brothers Ike and Phineas fled to Apache County. Ike was killed in a gunfight by Deputy Sheriff Commodore J. V. Brighton on Eagle Creek, near Blue River, and Phineas was imprisoned. After prison, Phineas moved to Globe and began raising goats for a living. His lands surrounded what is now Sleeping Beauty Mountain. In the winter of 1893-1894 Phineas robbed Sam Kee, a Chinese gardener in Wheatfields, at gunpoint. Clanton, however, was acquitted on 22 May 1894. Later, Phineas married a Mrs. Bohme, whose husband had died. She had a 12-year-old son--William Bohme. On 5 January 1906 Phineas was involved in a wagon accident, and his exposure to the weather caused him to get pneumonia, from which he died. He is buried in Globe.

      Grave of Phineas Clanton

      As the Pinal country slowly evolved into the twentieth century, still other remarkable scenes took place in and around them. One of them concerned a fascinating white woman: Pearl Hart--the last stagecoach bandit. She robbed a stagecoach out of Globe on 29 May 1899. Her story can be found on my Pearl Hart page.

      Yet another dramatic event occurred in Globe about the turn of the century. Zachary Booth was hung behind the old courthouse in 1905. The circumstances behind the hanging were quite bloody. A Mormon by the name of William Berry decided that he should move his sheep ranch from St. Johns to Thatcher in 1903. As he worked out some details in Thatcher, his head sheepherder, Santiago Vigil, on December 22 was herding his 500 sheep through Brushy Basin, near Gisela. Santiago came upon some cowboys who were indignant about having sheep on their range. Without warning the cowboys shot William Berry's son, Wiley, and Santiago Vigil's seventeen-year-old boy, Juan. When Santiago Vigil ran to see what had happened to the boys, he saw a bullet hole burning in his son's sweater where he had been shot. Extremely enraged, Santiago rode into Payson and informed some deputies. Shortly afterwards, Wiley and Juan were buried in Gisela. On Christmas Day 1903 there was a party in the "16 to 1" Saloon in Payson, and many people were in attendance, including Santiago Vigil. As it just happened, so were his son's murderers: John and Zachary Booth. Santiago pointed the men out to the deputies, and they were arrested and placed on trial in Globe. In the trial Zachary Booth insisted that his brother John had not been present at the murders, even though Santiago insisted that he had been there. Nevertheless, John Booth was eventually released and continued to live in Gisela. (The Booth family was still living in Gisela in the 1960s.) Wiley Berry's body was later re-buried in Thatcher, and Juan Vigil's body was reburied in a different plot in Gisela--right next to where John Booth was later buried. Zachary Booth was hung in Globe on 15 September 1905, and buried in the old Globe Cemetery.

      The year 1907 was also very eventful in the history of Globe. Most of the incidents revolved around the famous old scout Al Sieber. Even in his later years Sieber managed to be involved in dramatic incidents. On 31 January 1907, a woman named Laura Morris and her daughter, Arminta Ann (age 4 and a half) were brutally murdered with a knife near Roosevelt Dam (then under construction--begun in 1905 and finished in 1911). Arizona Ranger Jim Holmes was notified, and he called on Al Sieber to help. Two Apaches who had been scouts with Sieber, a man named "Rabbit" and another named "Yesterday," were called on to assist. As it had recently rained a lot, the scouts were able to follow the killer's footprints until they came to a pool of water near the river, where the killer had washed his hands. They noticed in the pool someone had dragged his right foot a little. Knowing scouting lore, they knew that the killer must have thrown something from that point, because when a man throws something he tends to drag his right foot. They then threw some rocks in the same direction as the man's footprints. When they inspected where they fell, they found the original murder weapon. They knew that the knife belonged to William Baldwin, and so he was quickly arrested. He was placed in the jail behind the newly-erected courthouse, which had been built in the same location as the old one, in Globe. (The "new" courthouse is now called the "old courthouse.")

      Anger spread quickly through Globe when it was found out that Baldwin was in the jail. A mob formed and rushed onto the courthouse steps, where it was stopped by Sheriff John Henry Thompson ("Rimrock Henry"), who was holding a Winchester rifle. Thompson told the men (a significant proportion of the grown male population of Globe) that he would allow no lynching, and that they would have to pass by him first. He continued to talk to the mob and then threw the cell keys to them, acting as if he had given up. He told the people to "Go get him--if you can." In the meantime Baldwin had been spirited out the back of the jail by Deputy Jack Knight and was hidden on a train that was going to Solomonville. The mob swarmed over the courthouse, even up onto the copper roof, but were unable to find Baldwin. In Solomonville William Baldwin received his trial and was hung there on 12 July 1907.

      A poker game was the cause of another murderous incident that occurred near the end of 1907. John Cline and Charley Edwards (who had helped Sheriff Thompson prevent the Baldwin lynching) had some heated words as they were engaged in a poker game in Tonto Basin. Later in Globe Edwards was overheard to say that he would kill Cline. The sons of John--Joe and James- -heard of the threat and so rode out to the Basin to warn their father. Edwards was later found murdered. John Cline had a brother, George, who just happened to be in Phoenix at the time and was able to acquire a brilliant attorney. Sympathy quickly grew for John and, as the prosecution could find no witness, the attorney was able to get him released. Descendants of Charley Edwards to this day are still bitter about this incident, but John lived a full life in the Basin. George Cline was still living in 1968--a champion rodeo rider.

      It is interesting to know that in 1909 Globe acquired a famous resident from South America. When the man came to Globe he called himself "William T. Phillips," and he had just recently married Gertrude Livesay in Iowa. Mr. Phillips' true name (as some historians believe, though not all) was Richard Leroy Parker--"Butch Cassidy." He had come to Globe to make certain that his new alias would be permanent. It is believed by many that after the shoot-out in San Vicente, Bolivia, about 1908, that "Cassidy" survived and returned to the U.S. to make a new life for himself. He lived in Globe working on ranches and at construction. By late summer 1910 he had left Arizona for Washington, where he died in Spokane on July 20, 1937. Was "Phillips" the famous Butch Cassidy? It is possible, although recent research discredits the identification of Phillips with Cassidy. (See Meadows, Anne and Daniel Buck. "The Last Days of Butch & Sundance." Wild West 9 (February 1997):36-42.)

      Two more dramatic murderous incidents occurred in the Globe area in 1910. The first was the murders of twelve-year-old Myrtle and fourteen-year-old Lou Goswick, sisters, on 23 June 1910. They were murdered at Horseshoe Bend on the Salt River. The circumstances for the murders were as follows:

      Myrtle and Lou were the children of rancher Wesley Goswick, who lived four miles north of Globe. On the day of the murders, hired hand Kingsley Olds was told to take a wagon to Horseshoe Bend to pick up a gasoline engine that was located there. He was allowed to take the two girls, as they wanted to have a picnic lunch there. Olds had a shotgun with him to protect them. About 10 o'clock the girls went swimming. A cowboy, J. R. Haskell, just happened to pass by at the time and saw three people swimming in the river clad only in their underwear. The cowboy thought it was a family outing. But, later that night the girls had not yet returned home. Neither had Olds. Mr. Goswick got extremely worried and decided to go out to Horseshoe Bend himself. He arrived just as darkness was closing in. He found bloodstains everywhere. Kingsley Olds, in the meantime had gone to "Nigger Cabin," with a gunshot wound in the chin. He was found, and public sentiment quickly became inflamed against him. Although there was no indication on the girls' bodies that they had been choked or mishandled, many people were convinced that Olds was guilty. He, however, claimed that a man had tried to shoot him and the girls as they were in the river, and the girls had become frightened and drowned. There were also many witnesses who vouched for the character of Olds, saying that he had always been very proper with the girls and family, and that he could be trusted to tell the truth. He himself said, "I never hurt those little girls." Nevertheless, there was talk of mob violence, and it was difficult to maintain order in the town. A trial was quickly held, and the jury held that the girls' drowning was a direct result of Olds's conduct, although he may not have actually murdered them. He had, nevertheless, been responsible for them.

      Late Sunday night, 2 July 1910, someone gained entrance to the "new courthouse" and could see Olds in his cell in the Sheriff's Building just east of the courthouse. (The same buildings stand there today.) Olds was shot and killed, and the murderer was never found. In the criminal records of Gila County the cases of Lou and Myrtle Goswick and Kingsley Old are still marked "unsolved." (NOTE: I have just been recently been informed by the granddaughter of Mr. Goswick that he, in fact, was the murderer of Olds.)

      The second murderous incident of 1910 was the violent murders of two men who had gone onto the San Carlos Reservation to hunt deer. Two friends, Fred Kibbe and Albert Hillpot, had reached Tuttle Station (a stagecoach station between San Carlos and Fort Apache), near Mount Santos and Black River Crossing, on 14 September 1910. There were two men who ran the station, James H. Steel (whose real name was John B. Goodwin) and William Stewart, for the owner Mr. W. O. Tuttle of Rice. Goodwin and Stewart had previously been in the army at Ft. Apache but had deserted, as they did not want to go to Wyoming when their company was transferred there. That evening Stewart's dog bit Hillpot on the leg, and Hillpot kicked it. Stewart was very angry, but kept still about it.

      The next morning (September 15) Kibbe and Hillpot went hunting and then returned to the station at night. Goodwin and Stewart were not there when the hunters arrived, but they later kicked the door open and started firing upon Kibbe and Hillpot. Hillpot tried to fight back, but was brutally slaughtered. Blood spurted around the cabin everywhere, and when others later arrived they witnessed a horrific scene. Both Kibbe and Hillpot were dead, and the two ex- soldiers had started toward Holbrook. Sheriff John Henry Thompson pursued them and thought the killers would try to go to the railroad station of Adamana, near Holbrook. He was right, and he arrested Goodwin and Stewart there. The trial was on 28 November 1910, and the townspeople in Globe were very angry. A lawyer by the name of Thomas W. Flannigan became their attorney. The two men were convicted on 10 December 1910, and were given life, but then Flannigan thought he could get them lighter sentences. He had read a lot of law about the fact that Indians should be tried in territorial courts if their crimes were committed on reservations, but he had never seen a case about white men committing crimes against other white men while on the reservation. Flannigan thought if his clients were tried again he could get a lighter sentence. The defendants agreed to a new trial, and on 22 November 1911, the jury stated that Goodwin should die on the gallows, while Stewart should get life imprisonment. Subsequently, many court battles were fought regarding the jurisdiction of the case. The case went even as far as the President, but he decided not to commute the case. Consequently, on 13 May 1913 John B. Goodwin was hung in Globe. The hangman was Bill Cunningham. A Mrs. Margaret Sharp and her daughter, also called Margaret, being opposed to capital punishment, curbed Goodwin's grave in the Globe Cemetery with concrete. For other legal reasons, Stewart was again put on trial in Globe, and this time he was sentenced to be hanged. On 29 May 1914 his execution was performed. Stewart told the hangman, again Bill Cunningham, "I'll meet you in Hell, and before you come to be with me, I hope you choke to death!" Cunningham later died of cancer of the throat. Stewart was buried near Goodwin, and the two graves can still be identified today (west of the cemetery main gate, outside the general burial area).

      By the time of World War I the Pinal Mountain area was slowly becoming more "civilized" and leaving some of its more violent traditions behind. However, this was not entirely the case. In 1917 much of the worker population of the Globe-Miami area was suspected by many people in the rest of the United States as being traitorous. This was because of the heavy unionization of mining employees. The employees had seen copper companies reap the reward of high prices because of the need for copper in the war, but they themselves had seen few wage increases. A strike in Globe was therefore called on 1 July 1917, and relations between unionists and anti-unionists became very dangerous. Finally, on July 4 Governor Thomas Campbell arrived in Globe by train and began to observe the conditions there. He decided that troops should be called in. Four troops of cavalry and one machine gun company (all of the 17th Cavalry) arrived in Globe in the night of July 5. Various individuals were arrested in the following months, and soon negotiations began to wear down the striking miners. Finally, on 22 October 1917, the strike was officially over, and no further walkouts were permitted until the war ended. A token force of the 17th Cavalry remained in Globe until 1920, but no further labor trouble occurred. Most of the citizens of Globe wanted to be considered loyal and industrious citizens. Labor unrest seemed unworthy of a "progressive city."

      The population by the 1920s had grown rapidly in the towns of Globe, Miami, Superior, and around the Winkelman area. The San Carlos Reservation had also settled down to such peaceful pursuits as farming, ranching, and construction (e.g., the railroad, which had been extended to Globe in December 1898). The reservation became much less turbulent after the Chiricahuas were gone, and also after most (though not all) of the Yavapais and a few Tonto Apaches migrated back to their ancestral lands. Most of the Yavapais and Tontos went to Ft. McDowell or Camp Verde, but some went to Payson and Prescott, where they remain to this day. But there was one last embarrassment the region had to face, and that occurred as late as 1936. In that year the last legal hanging in Arizona took place, and it happened on the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation.

      In December 1935 a San Carlos Apache with a fierce temper, Earl Gardner, killed his wife, Nancy, and his baby boy, Edward. He had previously killed a fellow tribesman in 1925, had served several years in prison, but had been released. After killing his wife and child he quickly challenged the government to "get a good rope and get it over with." Everyone wanted him executed, especially the members of his tribe. Consequently, he was tried, convicted, and sentenced to die by hanging. In a letter to a historian (Douglas D. Martin) a former reporter for the Phoenix Gazette, Jack Lefler, wrote the following about the 13 July 1936, execution:

      The execution of Gardner by hanging was so ghastly that Congress passed a law stipulating that from henceforth all federal executions had to take place according to the manner "prescribed by the laws of the State within which the sentence is imposed." As the law in Arizona required that executions should be done by lethal gas (law passed in 1933), no more hangings were to be permitted in Arizona, not even on federally-supervised Indian reservations. Thus the Pinal Mountain region witnessed the last legal hanging ever permitted in Arizona.

      (This entire incident is explained in detail in Douglas D. Martin, "An Apache's Epitaph: The Last Legal Hanging in Arizona--1936," Arizona and the West 5 (Winter 1963), 352-360.)

      As the Pinal Mountain area matured into the twentieth century there were many challenges to face. The difficulties of World War II had a great impact on the area, as much of the copper used in the war came from here. Since World War II important strides have been made in many areas: development on the reservation, modernization of copper facilities, and further economic development in all the various towns. Throughout it all, the inhabitants around the "skirts" of the Pinals have persevered tenaciously. The area is in many ways still pioneer country, and those who live here, being descendants of some of the most colorful individuals in the history of the United States, continue to demonstrate an incredible will to prosper in a harsh, but beautiful land.

      Most of this material came from the following sources:

      Bigando, Robert. Globe, Arizona: The Life and Times of a Western Mining Town 1864- 1917 . Globe: American Globe Publishing Co., 1989.

      Gila Centennials Celebration Committee. Honor the Past . . . Mold the Future . Globe: Arizona Silver Belt, 1976.

      Hayes, Jess G. Apache Vengeance . Albuquerque: Univ. of New Mexico Press, 1954.

      ________. Boots and Bullets: The Life and Times of John W. Wentworth . Tucson: Univ. of Arizona Press, 1968.

      ________. Sheriff Thompson's Day: Turbulence in the Arizona Territory . Tucson: Univ. of Arizona Press, 1968.

      Peace, Jayne. History of Gisela, Arizona . Payson: Jayne Peace, 1981.

      Woody, Clara T. and Milton L. Schwartz. Globe, Arizona . Tucson: Arizona Historical Society, 1977.


      Phineas (aka Phineas Flynn) is a character from the Disney Channel Phineas and Ferb series. He may be used in:

      • the Toy Box for Disney InfinityŁ.0 and later,
      • all Disney and Pixar Toy Box Games for Disney Infinitył.0, and
      • all Toy Box Expansion Games (Disney InfinityŃ.0).

      "Phineas' Pinball Mania" is added to the Disney InfinityŁ.0 Adventures menu when the figure is placed on the Disney Infinity Base.

      He was exclusively released at GameStop March 14th 2014 ΐ] and was officially released April 1st 2014 Α] with Perry the Platypus in a Toy Box Pack.

      Phineas has his own adventure called "Phineas' Pinball Mania" in which the player must help Phineas use his creativitoys to play a giant game of pinball while defeating enemies. In the toy box, Phineas has a total of 5 character chests, having the second most chests, only behind Ralph. When opened, his Character Chests unlock a Phineas Costume, Ferb Costume, Candace Costume, Baseball Shooter and Phineas and Ferb's Water Slide.

      State & Territorial Quarters (1999-2009)

      The utilization of this report as a tool for assessing the population and value of certified numismatic coins in any character or grade is unreliable. The following characteristics inherent in the marketplace undermine the accuracy of this report:

      Inexpensive coins which are not generally submitted for certification may appear scarce but are not.

      Numismatic coin certification services are predominantly utilized for higher grade coins.

      Certified coins are often removed from their holders without notice to the grading service. Therefore, computer tallies utilized to provide population reports may be misleading.

      Rarity is only one factor which must be weighed in determining the market value of a numismatic coin.

      Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America encourages all coin collectors to seek the counsel of qualified numismatists familiar with the certified coin marketplace before making any purchase based on this report.

      The NGC US Coin Price Guide shows average dealer retail prices based on actual, documented transactions and other information reported by collectors, dealers and auction houses for NGC-certified coins. The price shown is the average dealer retail price, excluding any sales tax, for an NGC-certified coin in a standard holder with a standard label and does not reflect any premiums for special holders, labels or designations unless otherwise specified.

      Retail prices for collectible coins can vary between dealers – sometimes significantly – based on a number of factors, including short-term pricing trends, eye appeal, trading frequency, special characteristics, market availability, demand and precious metal spot prices. Further, because the NGC US Coin Price Guide prices are only updated from time-to-time, they do not reflect short term pricing trends, which are quite common and are often quite dramatic, given the volatile nature of the collectible coin marketplace. This is especially true for rare coins, where there are fewer sales and greater variations in sale prices. For all of these reasons, the prices in these guides are designed to serve merely as one of many measures and factors that coin buyers and sellers can use in determining coin values. These prices are not intended, and should not be relied upon, to replace the due diligence and — when appropriate — expert consultation that coin buyers and sellers should undertake when entering into a coin transaction. As such, NGC disclaims all warranties, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and of fitness for particular purpose, with respect to the information contained in the NGC Price Guides. By using the NGC Price Guides, the user agrees that neither NGC nor any of its affiliates, shareholders, officers, employees or agents shall have any liability for any loss or damage of any kind, including without limitation any loss arising from reliance on the information contained in the NGC Price Guides.

      Watch the video: Dr Maria Pretzler (May 2022).


  1. Maudal

    Of course. I agree with you.

  2. Conrado

    This question is not clear to me.

  3. Wes

    Yes indeed. And I ran into this. We can communicate on this theme. Here or at PM.

  4. Jaeden

    Incidentally, this thought occurs right now

  5. Salih

    Not badly written, REALLY ....

  6. Karim

    Completely I share your opinion. It seems to me it is good idea. I agree with you.

  7. Kazrataxe

    It - is pointless.

Write a message